Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I'm writing a book

Forty some years ago my mother wrote scripts for a variety of early TV shows. And then she wrote a "treatment" for a movie for Disney. The folks at Disney loved the story, but thought it would be too expensive to produce in 1964. So they suggested she do it as a book first.

But she didn't.

Instead she gave birth her fourth child, and then her fifth and then her sixth. And then she wrote a different book called Women of the West. which is still in print to this day. Turns out that my mom's book was an important book. It was the first to argue that the western frontier experience liberated woman from the repressive norms of Victorian society. After the book, she went to work for the Governor of California as an advisor on historic resources. After that she went to law school and became a law professor. The manuscript gathered dust in the attic.

Well the manuscript has been found. I'm going to take a shot at it. I've got kids who love to read so I have a pretty good idea what they like.

No comments: